We are over 100 years old.
A Brief Guide to our Past.
The following article was written by Ray Mahoney (HWBC Captain 1994 & 1995, President 1999) and dates from 2000
(With thanks to Allen Wetherell for submitting the item)
High Wycombe Bowling Club, the third oldest club in the County, was born in 1902 in Harlow Road. This is just east of the town centre opposite the Rye. The first High Wycombe bowling green was situated at the top of the road where St John’s Ambulance Station now stands. This was a 4-rink green, which at the time was quite sufficient for the number of bowling players. The site was purchased by 35 shareholders for the sum of £35.
Amongst the foundling members were furniture manufacturers, mill owners, doctors and solicitors. One of the better known members was Lord Desborough.
As High Wycombe prospered and grew, so did the Bowls Club. It became apparent that the green was of insufficient size for the potential membership, so in 1927 the new club was opened at its present site in Chestnut Avenue. The Harlow Road club was sold for £450 and the new land bought for £300. A maximum size green of eight rinks was constructed by Maxwell Hart of Glasgow at a cost of £1,000. This was the first Cumberland Turf green to be laid in Buckinghamshire.
The Clubhouse, which cost £700, has changed very little since 1927. It still has its original oak beams and the timber lined main hall. 80 hand-made wheelback chairs, each with HWBC carved on the back, were presented by James Elliots & Sons. The President’s chair, also with HWBC carved on the back, was made by J. W. Hawkins. Over the years, the two most important games to be played at the green were the touring South African sides in 1935 and again in 1995.
Roger Turpie researched and wrote an excellent booklet to celebrate the Club’s Centenary.
We are hoping there are lots of members who will be able to submit more articles, photos and ‘tales of goings-on’ in the Club’s past.
Do we have a Local Historian in the Club?
Past articles/cuttings from the Bucks Free Press?
Can anyone ‘date’ the badge below?
When did the Club colours change?